I have realized that I've run out of words to use to describe my life and experiences. "incredible", "paradise", "unreal", "fairytale", and "spectacular" don't seem to cut it anymore. The past week and half have truly been amazing, and I constantly find myself trying to come up with new descriptive words to apply to my life, but everything seems drab and overused.

Part of my awe is inspired solely by the novelty of the trip. I often have moments where I stop and think about what is happening- 'I'm in Croatia!' 'I'm alone!' 'Everything around me is new and exciting!'. However, much if it is also inspired by the beauty of where I am and what I'm doing. Now that I'm in Split, Croatia, I get filled with a sense of wonder each time I step outside because it's simply so striking. With huge, looming mountains on one side, and incredibly blue water on the other side, it's jaw droppingly beautiful, especially when viewed from above.

My days here have been spent walking through the striking Old Town, which is contained by the walls on the old palace, eating delightfully cheap Croatian pastries, walking along the beach, biking the forested hill Marjan, and enjoying the beauty of the Krka waterfalls. Despite its simplicity, they all add up to perfection that puts a smile on my face and gratefulness in my my mind.

Something I hadn't thought about too much before I started this trip were the other travelers I would meet. Backpacker culture very much exists, and although I'm sure it's not perfect, I love it! I love meeting people, usually solo travelers, and making instant friends with them, and feeling like you're incredibly close after only 2 days. It's hard knowing that I won't see many of these people again, but I'd rather that than to have never met them. Most of the people I've met so far are Aussies and Brits, and it's been fun to have the option of a companion when going out, whether for a bite to eat, or an excursion a couple hours away.

Right now I'm about to head out to do some cliff jumping with a friend that leaves tomorrow!



























Comments

  1. I guess you will have to come up with some new words - perhaps in foreign languages. Have fun with your buddies.

    That last line is a great way to terrify your parents. Researching some on line, it appears "cliff jumping in croatia" involves taking kayaks to high rocks where you jump in the water - since that is what you do every summer in VT, I can deal with that....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts