This blog has officially seen me through three ages! I write this as a proud 21-year old, and I'm sure you can tell that I am significantly wiser and more sophisticated than I was when I last posted as a naive 20-year old lamb. The celebrations started on the 11th, when Albania played Switzerland in their first game in the European cup. They lost, but it was a very fun and spirited scene! A group of 9 of us stopped by a local jazz street festival for a couple hours- I may be missing Newport Jazz, but at least I get to see Shkoder Jazz- and then made our way to a few bars, before stopping at the much talked about "Party in the Forest". I wasn't sure what I was expecting, but it was pretty much exactly that. In the middle of a campground was a DJ stage, lights, bars, lots of people, and of course a barbecue (Eastern Europeans love their meat). After dancing, eating, and toasting to my lost youth, we made an impromptu drive to the lake to take a quick dip, and it wasn't nearly as cold as I thought it would be! It was definitely a memorable way to end my 21st year and begin the next. Unfortunately the actual day of my birthday didn't have the greatest weather, so instead of following through on our plans to swim, we spent it baking traditional Byrek pies, and just hanging out and watching movies. The night of course ended with a delicious cake bought from a local bakery, and we even got candles too!

The hostel is steadily getting more busy, and it's fun having more people around to talk to, hang out with, and cook with. Mikel, the hostel owner, tells me that I am getting the biggest range of experiences of volunteers that come to the hostel. Cleaning? Check. Painting? Check. Fruit picking? Check. Fruit eating? Check, check, definitely check. I only have about a week left here, so I'm making a list of everything left that I want to do in my free time. I always low strolling the cobblestone pedestrian street, browsing the fruit and vegetable markets, and biking along the side roads, but there are other things I'd like to do too, one of which is checking out the castle here in Shkoder!

Obviously this is a blog on my travels, but I would be remiss if I didn't address what is going on the rest of the world. My birthday will now always be bittersweet, as we remember the brutally senseless massacre in Orlando. I'm embarrassed as I talk to other travelers from around the world, and they ask why the legislation on firearm use and attainment in the United States, a well developed country with incredible resources, is so incredibly low and nearly nonexistent. Prayers and good thoughts are well intentioned, and love will always overcome hate, but fighting for policy change is what will stop preventable tragedies and the loss of lives.




Comments

  1. However you say "happy birthday" in albanian, it is nice to have new adventures and cake with friends. Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts